Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Coach Hire Scotland, Tour to Scone Palace, Perthshire, Scotland

Coach Tour to Scone Palace Perthshire


with A1 Minibus & Coach Services LTD


VISIT www.a1coaches.com for more information 


Visit to Scone Palace for guided tour in and around the grounds, Stop at Destiny Antiques Cafe in Perth for lunch and a browse around the "Destiny Antiques Store" Where every item has a history.We will also be Stopping by at Loch Leven to enjoy some views before our return back to Levenmouth area.

We will leave Fife area approx 10am with pick up's throughout, we will arrive home approx 5pm.




A Little History of Scone Palace...
Scone Palace is Located 1½ miles North of Perth and 2 miles West of New Scone, it is the family home of the Earls of Mansfield. Despite its historic setting, the Palace we see today was only built in 1802 by English architect William Atkinson, who went on to create Abbotsford for Sir Walter Scott.


Photograph of a Peacock in the grounds of Scone Palace




Scone Palace was Originally the site of a 6th Century Celtic church, replaced in the 12th Century by an Augustinian Abbey and a Bishop's Palace which provided lodgings for the Kings of Scotland. Both Palace and Abbey were destroyed in 1559 by a Perth mob, incited by a sermon by John Knox (1505-72), and the lands passed to the Earl of Gowrie, who built a new house. However, after the Gowrie Conspiracy (1600), an attempt to kidnap James VI (1566-1625), the estates were forfeit and given to Sir David Murray (1604), who was also created Lord Scone, in return for his loyalty to James.





Murray built a new Palace in 1618 and it was here that Charles II (1630-85) stayed before being the last King crowned on Moot Hill in the palace grounds (1651), where Kings had been crowned since the time of Kenneth MacAlpin (d.858). Other visitors included the Old Pretender (1715) and his son Bonnie Prince Charlie (1745). Murray's descendants became the Viscounts Stormont (1602) and then Earls of Mansfield (1776). The 1st Earl spent his time in London and the 2nd Earl found the old palace too damp. Thus it was David Murray, becoming the 3rd Earl at only 19, who commissioned the rebuilding of the palace as the splendid castellated gothic edifice in red sandstone which we see today. It houses fine collections of furniture, paintings, ivory and porcelain, together with historically-important royal heirlooms belonging to James VI and his mother Mary.

The fine grounds include a fir tree planted in 1825 from seeds sent back by botanist David Douglas (1799-1834), who had been a gardener at the palace and ruins of the historic village of Scone, dismantled to permit a larger estate around the new palace in 1805.

Information about Destiny Antiques Cafe and Visitor Centre - Where we will stop for Lunch



"Destiny Antiques and Visitor Centre is a popular friendly location for both locals and visitors based at Perth Airport in Scone, just outside of Perth. A friendly welcome is guaranteed, as well as a range of home baked light meals and soups,  and lovingly made cakes and scones, made on the premises and served with a smile.

We invite everyone and anyone to browse and enjoy our stalls full of unique items - antiques, collectables, interesting and sometimes bizarre giftware. Each item has a history and has been chosen by it's Collector to be offered for 'rehoming' through Destiny. We look forward to sharing our collections with you and being part of your touring experience in Perthshire."



Stopping at Loch Leven before we return home...
Described as "a sparkling jewel" Loch Leven is brimming with natural beauty, wildlife and history.

One of the amazing sights to see at Loch Leven at the moment is the 20,000 or so pink-footed geese which have come from Iceland for the winter, while the loch's islands are home to 1000 pairs of tufted ducks. 


To book your seat call 01592 713443 or email a1colleen@gmail.com


Find this information useful? Click here to tweet

"Have a nice day the A1 Way"

www.a1coaches.com

Monday, 4 April 2011

Coach Hire Kirkcaldy, Fife - Transport to Links Market 14th - 19th April 2011

Coach Hire Scotland




Transport to Links Market Kirkcaldy,Fife April 2012.

 01592 713443 or email a1colleen@gmail.com



Pick up from A1 Coaches Bus Garage, Wellesley Road, Buckhaven at bank corner, Leven shorehead, broom shops, Kennoway shopping centre and windygates cross. BOOKING IS ESSENTIAL!

Leaving time from A1 Coaches Bus Garage, Methil would be 5.45pm 6.45pm 7.45pm and return journeys would be 8.30pm 9.30pm and 10.30pm



The cost would be £6 return per adult and £3.50 per child under 12.

To book seats call 01592 713443 or email a1colleen@gmail.com
Text booking available 07891 202373 - Text your name and number of seats required to this number and we will call you back.




THE HISTORY....
The famous Kirkcaldy Links Market is officially noted as having started in 1304, and at that time it was a weekly market for farmers, traders and craftsmen etc. In 1305 Edward the first granted the burgh of Kirkcaldy the right to hold an annual fair at the Easter Octave, and this has grown to become the kirkcaldy Links Market as we know today, that runs for a week around Easter time - (2012 dates to be announced) 


Although official records state that the Links Market began in 1304, it is likely that there was a weekly traders market held in the Kirkcaldy area before this. The act of granting a royal charter to hold a market or fair was actually a means of raising taxes, and throughout the 13th and 14th centuries many towns across the country were granted such charters by the King.


Many of the annual fairs attracted traveling traders and performers, such as acrobats, jugglers and musicians, who would move from town to town visiting the fairs. The popularity of traveling showmen increased throughout the centuries, becoming a ‘trade’ in itself. During the eighteenth century showmen and sideshows of all descriptions were commonplace including strolling players, freak shows, exhibitions of curiosities, performing animals, games of skill, etc. It was also during this time that simple fairground rides became popular, such as roundabouts that were propelled by ponies, and helter-skelters and chutes.


The late 1800’s was when the steam power was harnessed to create rides such as carousels that were the forerunners of today’s thrill-rides.Around the same time we also saw the first use of electrical lighting and mechanical musical organs.


Today the Links Market is dominated by exciting thrill-rides such as coasters, freefall towers, dodgems, rotors and tagadas, but there are still sideshow stalls, children’s rides and traditional helter-skelters and carousels.


As the first annual fair of the season in Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland, the Links Market is an important feature in the Showmen’s calendar, and benefits from having the first public viewing of any new rides.


To book - give us a call 01592 713443 or email a1colleen@gmail.com

Saturday, 2 April 2011

Coach Hire Fife, Scotland - East Coast of Fife

Coach Hire Fife, Scotland 


For all your transport needs from Day Tours to Weekend breaks, Private Hire to Corporate Hire.


Your one stop transport shop! 


www.a1coaches.com


Call 01592 713443 or email a1colleen@gmail.com


POPULAR PLACES TO VISIT LOCATED NEAR TO COACH HIRE FIFE, SCOTLAND


PHOTOGRAPHS AND VIDEOS TAKEN SATURDAY 2nd APRIL 2011
DAY OF MIXED WEATHER.

Coach Hire Scotland is based 2.0 Miles from Leven Thistle Golf Club, Leven Links Golf Course


View Larger Map








An 18 hole, links course located by the Firth of Forth in Fife, Scotland. Leven Links measures a modest 6506 yards. The history of Leven Links is, suffice to say, long and complex but what is most important is the nature of the ground upon which it is built. Local conditions of winds and tides during prehistoric times, when sea levels were falling combined to produce a series of parallel dune ridges which give Leven Links a truly unique signature.









Coach Hire Fife, Scotland is located 1.5 miles from Leven Beach. A long beach, stretching some 2,141 linear metres, which has private amusement arcades; kiddies rides; summer fair; putting green, crazy golf and skateboard ramp.
Putting Green and Crazy Golf open daily from 13th May until 15th August.
 There are Toilets; Lifebelts; seats; play area (toddlers-primary school age); secluded park called Festival Gardens. Leven Leisure Pool. This facility is popular with coach parties due to availability of shops and leisure facilities.
Leven Beach has won Fife's 2010 Blue Flag Award, along with 2010 Seaside Award




Coach Hire Fife, Scotland is located 2.0 miles from Letham Glen. Letham Glen is a woodland valley located just off the A911 at the roundabout which directs visitors to the Town of Leven or, the East Fife Tourist Trail.



The Glen, offers visitors a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of traffic and urban noise.
It provides a formal entrance with car park, floral bedding schemes and sunken garden. In Spring, the cherry trees are a profusion of colourful blooms.The Glen slopes down on either side of the Scoonie Burn and further into the Glen visitors can take a circular walk of aprroximately forty minutes through a peaceful woodland valley setting, or, there are several bridges over Scoonie Burn which offer shorter walks.










The old Glen footpath was originally part of a drove road, taking cattle to market. This "Right of Way" was also used by monks to go to the harbour to collect fish. Letham Glen had an ochre mine - sunk in 1802. By 1830 a lot of yellow ochre was exported abroad as a pigment for paint. Many fishermen's cottages were painted with paint containing yellow ochre dye. The site of the mine can still be identified and the stone wheel for grinding the ochre can be seen in the Glen.There were also coal mines around Letham Glen at Durie, Broom, Sauchenbush and Siller Hole. 
During the mining depression of 1920 local miners were employed to build an outdoor Swimming Pool where the Sunken Garden now stands. At that time the area north of the Glen was known as "Spinky Den" (Spinky meaning Primroses). In 1925, the land owner, Mr. Letham donated the Glen to the people of Scoonie and Leven and the stone pillared steel entrance gates were erected. After the Second World War the Swimming Pool was made into a Fish Pond and now stands as a Sunken Garden.


The farm which had been near Letham Gate was known as Lower Scoonie. The little farm cottages were later, converted into toilets by the main gate. These were later demolished and modern toilets erected.
In recent years, a very important Iron Age Burial Chamber was discovered to the North East of the Glen on the site of new house building














Coach Hire Fife, Scotland is based 5 miles from the Crusoe Hotel, Fife. The East Neuk of Fife has a wide choice of  accomodation to offer visitors who would like easy access to the wide choice of Golf Courses or for those who would like to visit tourist attractions in Edinburgh, Dundee or St Andrews - Coach Hire, Fife, Scotland can take you there. We can arrange your trip from start to finish and make it one to remember! 


video






Coach Hire Fife, Scotland is 5 Miles away from Lower Largo, Lower Largo is home to a staue of Robinson Crusoe which marks the site of the cottage where Alexander Selkirk was born. Selkirk born in the Village of Lower Largo ran away to sea as a young man. It was in later life that he was put ashore on the Pacific Island which was to become his home for over four and a half years until he was rescued by a passing ship.





Lower Largo situated at the mouth of the River Keil on the Firth of Forth is an attractive holiday Village. It is an ideal base for touring Fife and the East Coast Villages of the East Neuk.
Lower Largo grew as a herring fishing village and later as a manufacturer of fishing nets. Today, many fishing and pleasure boats can still be found in the harbour.
The river Keil flows into the Firth of Forth at the point where a pier and small harbour has been built. To the West side of the pier are an attractive collection of fishing cottages and houses. To the East is the Crusoe Hotel and the older part of the village. The houses and cottages on Main Street back directly onto the sea, stopped by sturdy stone walls. As tide goes out, miles of sandy beaches stretch East and West hugging the shore line of the Firth of Forth.






For all your transport requirement - call 01592 713443 or email a1colleen@gmail.com

Have a nice day the A1 Way! 


Friday, 1 April 2011

Minibus Self Drive Hire Fife, Scotland

Self Drive Hire, Fife, Scotland
www.a1coaches.com






Driver Must be OVER 25



& passed Test before Nov 1997

17 Seat Mercedes Sprinter Minibuses, Manual or Automatic available.






Call 01592 713443

visit www.a1coaches.com


email a1colleen@gmail.com




East Neuk, St Andrews & Falkland Palace Day Tour

Coach Hire Fife, Scotland Day tour to East Neuk, St Andrews & Falkland Palace

8th & 15th April 2011

East Neuk, St Andrews & Falkland Palace and Gardens- Trip around places of interest along East Neuk, Including St Monan’s Kirk, Pittemweem Harbour, Anstruther for a famous Fish Supper, Visit to the Ruins of St Andrews Cathedral, finishing off at Falkland Palace and Gardens.
The cost for this tour will be £9.50

Tour East Neuk of Fife and Falkland Palace with Coach Hire Scotland

The East Neuk, or corner, is one of the main attractions of Fife. It is a stretch of coastline dotted with a series of delightful fishing villages, each clustered around its harbour. The villages are a joy to discover with their wealth of vernacular architecture. The Old fishing village of Cellardyke is often referred to as East Anstruther.



We Will be visiting Anstruther, or Enster, as it is known by locals, gained its Royal Charter in 1587 and comprises Anstruther Easter and Anstruther Wester, Cellardyke and Kilrenny. In its heyday, Anstruther was one of the busiest ports in the East Neuk of fife and is steeped in history. Even with the general decline of the Fishing industry Anstruther is still a great attraction because of the Fife Coastal Path and the Anstruther Fisheries museum. The museum is housed in old domestic buildings and also in the 16th century site used by the monks from Balmerino Abbey.






We will also be visiting St Andrews - Overlooking the foreshore, the ruins once formed part of the palace and stronghold of the Bishops and Archbishops of St Andrews. The castle, founded c 1200. suffered greatly during the Wars of Independence. Bishop Henry Wardlaw, founder of the university, was tutor to James I and it is possible that his young charge spent time here prior to his captivity in England. Bishop Kennedy taught James II how to break the power of his nobles by comparing them to a bundle of arrows, with the suggestion he snap each one individually.Many reformers suffered imprisonment here, including George Wishart whom Cardinal Beaton had burnt at the stake in front of his palace, and Patrick Hamilton another martyr. Following the martyrdom of Wishart, a group of Protestants seeking revenge gained admission to the castle disguised as stonemasons and murdered Cardinal Beaton They held the castle for a year and were joined at intervals by others such as John Knox, and the siege was only lifted when the garrison capitulated to the French fleet. The besieged were taken to France and Knox was sent to the galleys.The late-16th Century entrance range with the central Fore Tower, originally flanked by two round towers, was the work of Archbishop Hamilton and it was supposedly from this facade (the exact spot is contested) that the body of Cardinal Beaton was displayed to the crowd. The buildings were arranged around a courtyard. In what remains of the northwest or Sea Tower is the grim Bottle Dungeon of late 14th Century construction; 24ft deep it is hewn out of solid rock. The other interesting items are a mine and counter mine excavated during the 1546-47 siege.In the pavement in front of the castle are the initials of George Wishart marking the spot where he was burnt at the stake in 1546.






We will also be visiting Falkland Palace, The domain of Falkland Palce belonged originally to the Crown and was gifted by Malcolm IV to Duncan, sixth Earl of Fife, who married Ada, the king's niece. It remained in this family until 1371, when Isabel, last countess of the line, transferred the estates to Robert Stuart, Earl of Menteith, second son of Robert II, who became sixteenth Earl of Fife, and was afterwards created Duke of Albany. This nobleman was for thirty-four years Regent of Scotland, and resided in the Castle of Falkland. Of this building no trace now remains. In his days the castle received its first historic notoriety, from the tragic fate of David, Duke of Rothesay, eldest son of Robert III.

The Duke of Albany early perceived the brilliant promise of the young heir to the throne, and feared lest he should menace his power. Playing on the credulity of the imbecile king, he persuaded him to issue an order for the arrest and confinement of the prince, representing that this was necessary to teach him self-restraint. He was inveigled to the castle of Falkland, and imprisoned to die of starvation. His life was prolonged for some time by the compassion of the daughter of the governor, who fed him with small cakes through a crevice of the wall. When she was discovered and murdered by her own father for her merciful kindness, her task was taken up by another tender-hearted woman, a wet-nurse in the governor's family, who supplied the prince with milk from her breasts by means of a long reed, until she too was discovered and put to death.

When James I returned from captivity in 1424, Murdoch, son and successor m the Regency of Robert, was executed for treason, and Falkland was forfeited to the Crown. As the estate is well situated in a pleasant valley, at a convenient distance from Edinburgh and Stirling, and was surrounded by forests filled with game, it became a favourite resort of the Stuart kings. The palace was begun by either James III or James IV, and completed by James V. This latter monarch was particularly attached to Falkland, and died of grief here after the rout of Solway Moss. Mary of Guise often lived here, and it was a favourite resort of her daughter, Mary Stuart. Between 1561 and 1566 the latter visited it many times, and found much pleasure here in hunting and other outdoor sports. James VI was also partial to living here, and two attempts on his person, one of them the famous Gowrie conspiracy, were made here. The last monarchs here were Charles I and Charles II, both of whom made short visits. Its last visitor of fame was Rob Roy Macgregor, who took possession and plundered it after the battle of Sheriffmuir in 1715. All that is now left of the original quadrangle is the south side, and a ruinous wall on the east.





For more information on our trips please call us on 01592 713443 or email a1colleen@gmail.com

A1 Minibus & Coach Services LTD
577 Wellesley Road
Methil
Fife
Scotland
KY8 3PD


Have a nice day the A1 Way!